Monday, January 9, 2012

From Ricochet's Tool Box


I'm not quite sure sometimes if I'm more clever or cheap or lazy.  Most likely it's a combination of these qualities that make me the crafter that I am.  Allow me to elaborate, please.  There is always a home improvement project going on at my house.  Hence, we always have an abundance of blue painter's tape lying around.  As you probably already know, the main use of painter's tape is to tape off areas that you don't want to get paint on.  Also, the main quality of the blue tape is that it is low tack, and therefore easy to remove and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.  Because we have a lot of it lying around our home, I have been utitlizing it in various crafty projects.  Here are some examples:
I used lots of blue tape in my Paper Weaving Tutorial.  It really
helped to secure the weave and keep it nice and tight.  When
it was time to remove the tape, it left the paper undamaged.

I used blue tape in my Tudor Rose Tutorial to secure the leaves to
the petals.  When I tried it with stick pins, the pins caught up on parts
of my sewing machine and fell out when I was rotating the flower.

This is a photo of wallet I was working on a while back.
I used tape to mark where I wanted to place the inside pockets.
I also wrote the measurements on the tape.

When I buy a pattern, I unfold all the tissue and tape around the
edges of all the pattern pieces.  Then, I cut out the pieces.  This
reinforces each piece and makes it really easy to trace onto fabric.
The blue-taped pattern pieces don't fit neatly in their original envelope,
but usually I paperclip them all together an lay them on a shelf.
I only take the time to do this with a pattern that I know I will use over
and over again.  

As you can see, blue tape is used all throughout my craft room.

The masking tape doesn't have to be blue, of course.  When I was making
 The Envelope Wristlet Tutorial, I used some regular masking tape
to help me mark where to place the magnetic clasp on the flap.

Because it has a higher tack than the blue tape, I used regular masking tape
to keep the edge of the flap clean and decoupage free.  You can see
the finished project here: Another Modge Podge Upcycle.

Stay tuned for more unconventional crafting supplies from Ricochet's tool box.  Also, please check out our current sewing challenge, The Naughty Notions Challenge.

Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,

12 comments:

  1. Unconventional perhaps, but some great tips. I must say, I have never used tape in sewing, but I'm going to now, especially taping tissue patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the tip to tape the pattern before you cut it! That is so clever, I am totally going to use that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I especially like the tape on the pattern pieces, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok maybe dumb question but once you tape your pieces together do you actually sew through the tape? Seems like the needle would get gummy. Thanks for the awesome tips, I'm totally taping patterns from here on out!
    ~Andie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the blue tape for holding my appliques and for embroidering on my machines.....
    Thanks for this great addition to other uses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to use on the bottom of your presser foot when your top sewing oilcloth, vinyl, or laminated cotton!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use tape in my sewing all of the time to help sew-on velcro, which I find especially tricky with pins. As a newer sewist, it great way to mark seam allowance measurements across the length of the machine to help me keep seams straight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To americanfeltandcraft:
    I sew through the blue tape all the time. I haven't noticed any gunky build up, but I think that is due to the nature of blue tape. It's not supposed to leave a residue.
    That said, one reason why I didn't address sewing through the tape in my blog post is that what works for me may not work for everyone. There are many brands of blue tape out there now, many models of sewing machines, and many types of sewers. I'd hate to lead someone astray.
    So ultimately I can't endorse sewing through blue tape. The example I gave in this post (sewing the leaves on the tudor rose) uses tape to hold the leaves in place and the stitching is marked with dotted lines.
    Thanks for commenting! Everyone has left such great tips in their comments so be sure to read them all.
    Best,
    Rikka J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I am sewing a project and using fabric that is difficult to discern the "wrong" side, I mark all of the cut out pieces with a piece of blue tape on the right side. Then when I am sewing it is much much easier to avoid mistakes that lead to ripping out seams!! I have also used blue tape to hold zippers in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am always looking for tips that making sewing easier That is a brilliant idea, I have tried marking the wrong side of material and it very often rubs of with use, have tried putting pins on wrong side and invariably I either stick myself with them or they drop out, but using blue tape seems obvious Thankyou

      Delete
  10. I use it as a guide to sew the lines across my hot pads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw how one gal used the blue tape to duplicate a rtw garment, laying the tape down on the garment piece/section and creating a pattern of each piece. Eliminated the need to tear the original garment apart. Genius!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...