The following is written by Linda Richards:
This challenge was a lot of fun and even though it took me quite a while to decide what
technique I would try to use to make my scarf, once that decision was made and I made a
trip to the fabric store it was so easy! I did some research online and came across some
chenille scarves that caught my eye. I have always wanted to try the faux chenille
technique and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity and not only was I going to make
a chenille scarf but it would be double sided! Wow!! From the time I laid out my fabric
to the time I finished sewing the scarf was only about two and half hours! I was amazed.
• I purchased 1 ½ yards each of three coordinating pieces of rayon challis for a
total of $34 and I have enough fabric left over to make a slightly smaller scarf.
• The fabric must be cut on the true bias ~ I cut all the fabric into 7 ½” wide
strips and made seven layers. I layered the fabric with three layers right sides
out (actually only one of my fabrics had a right and wrong side) a fourth layer
which was the actual middle layer of the scarf not to be cut and another three
layers right sides out on the other side of that middle layer. I flipped the
layers on one side from what I had done on the other side so I would have a
scarf with two different sides. I pinned all the layers together (and not too
neatly I might add!)
½” apart across the scarf and then used my rotary cutter and ruler to neaten the
sides and ends.
careful not to cut the middle layer) between the stitching lines from the top to
the bottom. I turned the scarf over and did the same thing on the other side,
once again being very careful not to cut the middle layer!
and make a stitching line for the fringe.
stitched all the way to the line to make the fringe. The scarf was ready for the
washing machine and a hot dryer a mere two and half hours later!
and checking it while it was in the dryer to see what was happening!) I used a
warm water wash and rinse and a hot dryer. It creates a lot of lint in the dryer
by the way!
quite pleased! I really liked how the fringe turned out ~ sort of a corkscrew
effect. My husband really liked it so I guess it has a real stamp of approval and
depending on the colors selected, I think it would work well for a man, too!
• I was more than pleased with the end results! I am so pleased in fact that I am
planning to make a couple of more scarves for Christmas gifts!
This was probably the easiest (much to my surprise) new technique I’ve ever tried. In
reality, I think you could say the washer and dryer do a lot of the work and that the
sewing techniques are very forgiving since the layers get cut apart. The fabric had a
tendency to slide with that many layers and there were little puckers along the way. I
decided not to let that bother me because everything was going to be cut and end up as
fluff. I was right, that did not matter in the end.
I loved this challenge, Thank You!