Friday, January 18, 2013

Cleaning the dirtiest iron




How dirty is your iron?  When was the last time you cleaned your iron?


Yikes!  This iron came with my husband who got it over a decade ago.  As far as I know, I'm the first person to clean it.  Sad, right?  I have no excuses.  I'm just a lazy procrastinator.  Yes, I am.

I have been pinning various iron cleaning methods, and decided it was time to try some out.

First up is salt:


I poured some salt on a towel and ironed over it on a medium heat setting for several minutes.  I noticed some cleaning was occurring, but the results were less than satisfying.
It was working though. You can see how dirty the salt got:

Next up was dryer sheets:


I tried both new and used dryer sheets with the heat setting on low to medium.  I put a white piece of paper between my ironing board and the dryer sheet.  As you can see, some grime was eventually transferred to the dryer sheets:
However, after griming up 4 dryer sheets, I couldn't see much of a difference in the surface of my iron.

Next was steel wool:
 I didn't find a pin using steel wool, but I figured I needed something abrasive to get this junk off.  I just spread out a thin layer of steel wool on a sheet of paper and ironed over it, rubbing back and forth and in circles.  This method showed the most significant cleaning power, but my arm was getting tired by this time and the going was so slow.

What worked?
MAGIC ERASER:


2 minutes with a damp Magic Eraser on a cool iron and the whole stinkin' thing was shiny and clean!
I used up half an eraser, but it was much faster and easier than any other method.  
Just look at the difference:

I promise I won't allow my iron to get this dirty EVER AGAIN!!!

How about you guys?  How dirty is your iron?

Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,
Pin It
Before you click away, I'd like to invite you to join in my current sewing/craft challenge.

Since this is a first for me (and my iron!) I'm linking up to Celtic Stitches' New to Me in 2013 Linky Party!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, it seems very useful!
    Xoxo, Mª José

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas gracias, es muy interesante!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't come across Magic Eraser before Rikka, will definitely have to have a look for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magic eraser is what I use to clean my iron, I have always one on my ironing board, reserved only for the iron. As the product name implies, "is magic".
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love my magic eraser, is there anything it can't do?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...