Monday, February 20, 2012

Quilt-as-you-go progress report

These blocks are on a full-sized bed and they make up 1/3 of a king-sized quilt for my own bed.

I told you all about my latest project in my previous post.  I'm tying out the quilt-as-you-go method I heard about on sewtakeahike.  My plan is to divide the 56 blocks I need to complete my quilt into 3 color catagories:

  1. blue/greys with black centers (done!)
  2. pinkish with blacks centers (halfway done!)
  3. purple/blacks with grey centers (not started yet.)
I couldn't bring myself to make each block the same.  I just got too repetitive and I worried about running out of a specific color of fabric.  You see, I have no idea how much fabric I'll need.  Some of the fabric I'm using are from old clothes, so yardage is difficult to determine.  After I finished the first 19 though, I have a better idea of what I need.  

The unifying elements in this quilt are as follows:
  • all blocks are log cabin style made with 2" wide strips
  • all blocks contain tie-dyed fabic in blue, pink, or purple
  • all blocks will have a black or grey center square.
  • all blocks contain both black and grey.
I've started the pinkish ones today.  They are quite a bit wilder than the blue/greys.  I'm not all the way sold on them yet, but I'm sticking to the original plan.  They'll only make up a third of the overall quilt and I can hide them around the edges if they continue to bother me.

Take a look at a few pinkish ones I did Saturday morning:


We'll just have to see how this all works out.....

If you're reading this before February 29, 2012, go HERE and vote!
If you're reading this before March 31, 2012, go HERE and sign up!


Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea about the quilt as you go. One of my challenges for the year is to make a king size quilt for our bed and it seems like an overwhelming amount of work. I'll def check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue/grey blocks!!! I like that they are all different!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...