A special treat for you today: a guest post by Stephanie from Toastie Studio. You all know how much I love sewing bags, so Stephanie's tutorial is a very welcome addition to this blog. And just look at how adorable the tote is! I'm going to try this with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles!
Leave a comment so Stephanie knows how much you like this sweet (literally!) tote.
Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,
a.k.a. Ricochet :o)
You will need:
For the tote
- Heavy weight cotton canvas, or normal cotton with an added a layer of heavy interfacing to two of the cupcake pieces.
- Cotton for the cupcake applique
- Pattern (download here) The pattern includes 1/4" seam allowance.
- 3inch/7cm diameter red felt circles x 2
- Brooch pin
- 15cm green ribbon
- Small amount of poly-fill
Step 2 First we are going to make the handles. Take one of the rectangles strips and fold it in half lengthways and press. Unfold it then fold the edges into the the crease we made before and press again.
Step 4 Lay the cupcake top applique on top of the tote piece and in in place, this time leave less of a gap along to top edge of the tote and applique.
Step 5 With the cupcake piece we just sewed, place it with the appliqued side facing up. Take one finished handle and using the pattern pin the ends into place, sticking about 1/2inch / 1cm over the edge. Then lay a blank cupcake piece on top and pin around the edges.
(silly me took a picture of two blanks together)Sew all the way around the edge, leaving a 3inch / 7cm gap along the bottom for turning. Repeat for the other two cupcake blanks.
Step 6 Turn the two cupcakes right way out and press so the edges are nice and flat.
To make the cherry brooch
2. Fold the ribbon in half and pin it to the edge of the circle with the brooch side facing up.
3. Place the second circle on top of the first and sew around the edge, leaving a gap for turning.
4. Turn the cherry and stuff. Ladder stitch the opening shut and pin to your cupcake tote.