Thursday, March 22, 2012

Clutch Makeover DIY


So what do you think?  It's different, I know.  

The lace says flirty and feminine.  The ombre-esque paint job says fun and artsy.  The bold stripes say sporty and casual.  The white patent leather says classy and sophisticated.  What does it say to you?  


This clutch in particular is not for every woman.  I think it's a little "young" for me so I'm putting it in my sell or gift category of crafts.  The concept of this project is very adaptable to any look though.  Imagine a white lace on a brown bag for a western/rustic look.  Or if you've seen my Naughty Notions clutch, it is a bit more sexy and edgy.  You won't believe how simple it was to make!  A little paint, a little Mod Podge, a little trimming, a little patience, and done!

Supplies:
  • Purse.  Patent leather worked great for me, but you can Mod Podge virtually any smooth surface.  Take it easy on yourself and look for a purse with simple lines and lots of flat surface area.  
  • Acrylic paint.  I used Martha Stewart's Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint in Carrot and Pond.
  • Mod Podge.  I used matte finish.  
  • Paint brush.  I used the same 1cm wide flat brush for paint and Mod Podge.
  • Sponge.  I cut a strip off the sponge in my kitchen sink.
  • Lace.  I used some 4 inch wide flat lace.
  • Strips of fabric or ribbon.  I used some bright orange bias tape.
  • Scissors.  I used some itty-bitty sharp scissors I stole from my husband's dopp kit.  
Here's what I started with.  A classic white patent leather clutch.  I picked it up at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for a mere $.95.  It is 18 inches long with a metal frame.  The closure is brass.  The lining is a dark navy blue with a zippered pocket.

I prepped my purse for decoupaging by wiping it down with a damp cloth.  Then I removed any oils or residues with rubbing alcohol.

The lace I wanted to use was a pale blue.  It was pretty, but lacked the pow factor I was looking for.  I painted the lace with Pond on some freezer paper and hung it up to dry.

Next, I used my brush (not shown) and painted two coats of Carrot on the border of the lace.  Then I used my little sponge to feather some more color onto the edges.  

To add the lace I painted Mod Podge over the top of it to adhere it to the purse.  Being so porous, the Mod Podge soaked right through the lace.  I adjusted and straightened the lace to my satisfaction as it dried.  For the bias tape strips, I painted a layer on the back of them first and then stuck them onto the purse.  Then I painted another layer of Mod Podge on the top side.  I fiddled with them until they were as straight and evenly spaced I wanted them.  

I trimmed up the excess lace and bias tape with some tiny sharp scissors.   While the Mod Podge was still slightly wet, I trimmed the lace and bias tape and pressed them down along the edges.  That way all the edges fully and smoothly adhered to the curved surface of the purse.  If you're not careful and diligent during this step, you could end up with a rough edge that will snag and scratch things.

The last step is to let it dry completely.  And that was it.  Easy right?  The above photo is pretty large.  Click on it if you'd like to see the purse up close.  I'm thinking about painting just the handle blue or orange.  What do you think?  I can't decide.

Now imagine some silver lace on a black patent leather purse with some of the new glitter Mod Podge.....Yeah, that's what I'm cooking up next!  Stay tuned!

Special thanks to my 5 yr old daughter for taking my fashion shots!
You noticed the snow along the fence?  The photos were taken Wednesday, March 21.  Spring is a little frosty up here in Montana!
Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. i LOVE THAT!!!! I would leave it without the handles painted...I feel like it might end up being too much, but this way is a nifty sort of perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Love the clutch and also would leave it as is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I must try your ingenious modpodge trick! And it's been so long since I stopped by your blog that I haven't seen all the new changes....lovin it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are already getting great value out of those products! Agree with the other comments, leave the handle as is, you wouldn't want to detract attention from that lovely lace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect..I like it :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great clutch Rikka! And your 5 year old photographer has a great eye for photos!! How did you do the black and white and colour effect?


    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all the nice comments so far. I've replied to most of you through emails, but I would like to add a few things for all my readers to see. First, the handles remain unpainted and most likely will stay that way! Second, Jill asked about the photo effect I used for this post. I used Picnik.com and you'll find the application under "effects" and it's called "Focal B&W". You can also find this on PicMonkey.com under the same headings.
    Best,
    Rikka

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blue and orange (I'm an Illini fan!) - I vote don't paint the handle - but I like simpler looks. And I am inspired to teach my 4 year old to shoot pics - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! I love everything about this purse..you are a genius, Rikka! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! Love the painted lace effect. Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a darling makeover!! I never would have thought of painting the lace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get this clutch? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great use of a thrifty clutch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...