Saturday, March 10, 2012

HST fun!

I don't know when to quit, but sometimes that's OK.

The following is not so much a tutorial as it is a documentation of my thought process.  Maybe it will inspire you to work your blocks a little more????  Or maybe you will just shake your head at my foibles.  In any case, I hope you'll enjoy the read let me know what you thought about it by leaving a comment.
I blogged about my discovery of how to make 4 half square triangles (HST's) from two squares of fabric HERE.  I cut the HST's in half, as shown the the above left photo.  Then I rearranged and stitched them together as shown in the above right photo.  I played around with these new blocks for-ev-er!

  1. I had 3 fabrics: ticking, blue linen-like cotton, and a thin cotton with a subtle tan stripe.  I used combinations of those to make a dozen of the aforementioned blocks.
  2. I couldn't stop there so I used the HST technique to make more complicated and smaller blocks.  I places two blocks right sides together, stitched around the outside and cut into quarters as shown.
  3. The only problem with what I did was that the blocks I started with weren't perfect squares so the resulting smaller blocks needed to to be trimmed up.  Next time I'll square 'em up first.
  4. The resulting blocks were variations of the 6-triangle block circled in yellow and the 2-triangle block circled in fuchsia. 


  1. Here's a pic of all the 6-triangle blocks I ended up with.
  2. And here are all the 2-triangle blocks I made.
  3. Trying to figure out how to mix the two blocks in a pattern.....
  4. Still trying.....  It's interesting, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Ultimately, I ended up making two big blocks that will be the backs of my Typography Challenge pillows.  The one on the left uses the 6-triangle blocks and on the right you can see I used the 2-triangle blocks.  On both I added some sashing of alternating fabrics.  I'm pleased with the results.  Surprisingly all the corners match up pretty well and the random pattern is fun to look at.  

Thanks for reading!

Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,

My favorite brand is "clearance".  Here are some clearance boots you might be interested in:
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Looking good, Rikka. I had to Google 'ticking' as I'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ticking and really enjoyed your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great Rikka, I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with for the Typography challenge. Really interesting post too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...